Since I’m still uncertain as to what I will be doing for the first 5 days of school, I decided to go with the 3-2-1 challenge.
3 professional development books that I enjoyed reading this summer:
1. Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess
2. Powerful Problem Solving by Max Ray
3. Implementing the Common Core State Standards through Mathematical Problem Solving (Grades 6 – 8) by Theresa Gurl, Alice Artzt, and Alan Sultan
2 things I’m excited about:
1. Implementing new ideas that I read about in the above mentioned books. I want to incorporate at least one rich task into each unit. Books #2 & 3 gave great examples to start with and book #1 provided many ideas in how to make my lessons exciting and engaging.
2. A new school year. I always feel that a new school year begins with a clean slate. I like to put past frustrations behind me and try to make this the best year possible. A positive attitude is so important!
1 thing I’m nervous about:
1. Falling back into my old ways when life gets overwhelming. I’m excited about making changes to the way I teach, but when life gets busy, it’s easy to fall back on the familiar and comfortable instead of taking risks.